Words are just a representation of every day experiences and I hope to share a few of mine with you.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My feet are still stained black



As we ran through the night
The grass wrapped itself around our feet begging us to linger a little longer
Devils danced behind us
Licking our heels as we laughed because even the most vile creatures seem enticing at times

When you're five minutes late for curfew you might as well stay three hours more
Every passing minute building up a stronger reprimand
But the memories towered higher
In the form of teenage hands climbing onto middle school rooftops
The tar up top coloured our skin black
Darker than than the thoughts I had the night before
Darker than the closet I lock myself in
I watched the figures spin on the ceiling from my baby brothers lamp
Doomed to rotate in a predetermined route
I learned then how to walk with my feet pigeon toed so I could avoid a circular path

Fighting my aching knees from the awkward bend
I looked up and saw you
Knees bent inward
Wincing
But happy to be on a linear path

The tattoos on your arm still trickling blood
They were a statement though
And expensive
Your friends admired the candle design on your shoulder
Sadly the dim light burner brighter than their smiles
Brighter than your red swollen eyes after your dad told you how to be a better daughter
He calls it looking out for you
He calls it constructive
I call it a drunken state of discontent from a wasted life
I call it a six pack on his breath

So when you look at your tattoos and remember a few years before
When you want to relive the childhood adventures
I'll be waiting on the top of our middle school with a pair of warm clothes and a magic eraser to clean you up

5 comments:

  1. I liked this one.
    It gave me something to feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this. too much. it made me think of my best friend. and that last paragraph. that was beautiful. amazing job. Mmm. Yes

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really gets me.
    This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's easy for me to stop reading when I read over a few lines that don't always make complete sense to me personally in my life but reading this, even when I was stumped on what something meant to you, and why you were compelled to have written it that way, I couldn't stop reading when I realized I normally would have stopped a while ago. Idk. I really liked a lot of the breaks in this and the short lines and even the long ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still love this post.. Just thought I'd let you know.

    When you want to relive the childhood adventures
    I'll be waiting on the top of our middle school with a pair of warm clothes and a magic eraser to clean you up

    Completely relatable to everything.

    ReplyDelete